Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

2009, baby!

I thought about making a list of things I want to do in 2009, but I'm not going to. It's true that sometimes benchmarks like new years, new semesters, changes of scene, etc. can help people make changes. But really, what are our excuses during the rest of the year? If you want something to change, make it happen.

That said, I just know that 2009 is going to be a fantastic year for me.

I've decided to stop planning past my next move. My next move is go to Prague and teach. I don't know how long I'll be gone, and I'm not going to pretend to decide right now. I don't know if I'll go somewhere else before I come back to the states. I don't know where I'll go when I do come back to the states. And that's ok. I could say that I have a plan (and I'm not going to lie, I do have a few ideas), but what would be the point? It would all change. A year ago, I thought that right now I'd be getting ready to graduate with my Master's and looking for a job teaching writing somewhere in Texas. I may still want to do those things at some point, but I've got other things on my mind now. I'm just going to continue to do what feels right until it doesn't feel right anymore. That's the only way I know how to live. It's worked so far.

I do have a couple of goals, that I am stating now, and they may be related to the new year (I'll admit, it does sort of feel like getting rid of unwanted baggage...I have taken steps toward that already), but they don't have to be! Okay, here they are (and they are all related to things that make me happy, which is key):
  • exercise almost everyday, but don't be a Nazi about it, because that leads to major burnout
  • write SOMETHING everyday...it doesn't have to win a Pulitzer prize (and this blog counts)
  • have more fun!! (that always applies...to anything)
  • and the last one is specifically geared toward my last few weeks of subbing: don't sweat it. just get through it and don't stress

My major fears right now are that I'll run out of money in Prague before I get a paycheck, that the people in my class over there won't like me/I won't make any friends in Prague period, and that my flight will be delayed. Oh, and that my luggage will be lost.

I was going to make a list of things that annoy me. On it was going to be my parents, the town of Granbury, public schools/schoolteachers, and kids. I don't really feel like discussing that further right now. I have TV to watch. But I'm not stressing. Because it's 2009. Finally.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it. I need to write a similar blog.

I totally feel you on the hates. That's so funny!! We can only try to focus on the good shit.

So the cool thing about moving (especially out of the country) is you can make up anything. When I moved to Spain I used to show my new "friends" pictures of my old "boyfriend." Too bad he wasn't really my boyfriend. Slaughter told me she convinced people in her Rhode Island school that she had a baby. (I think that is so hilarious)! If you don't like the Prague people just make up stories to amuse yourself. That's all I've got for you at this time :)