Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

bitterSWEET

I took a temporary hiatus from the blogosphere. I had plenty of overflowing thoughts, but I was kind of holding my breath until I found out if I had gotten this job I had interviewed for in Houston. And until I knew what was happening with my tumor.

Well, I'm happy to report that I DID get the job, and I move on Friday! I am so excited to keep moving forward, be closer to friends and family, make NEW friends, and have so much more to do! Also, I'm happy to report that my tumor was removed last Thursday, and other than some minor swelling, I am doing great. I had an awesome surgeon who did a great job and I have had very little pain/discomfort.

I have many reflections I want to make on the conclusion of my year here in Beeville. Like any ending, as much as I eagerly anticipate the future, it is bittersweet. First of all, can we all take a moment to celebrate the fact that I stuck something out for an entire year without freaking out and running away? I think that was part maturity and part figuring out what I want to do with my life. Also, it's very important to mention the great people here in Beeville, particularly at the paper, and I am genuinely sad to be leaving them. I've come to realize that it's impossible to spend any length of time someplace and not get attached to the people you meet there. This is the hardest part about leaving. By now, I can't imagine not being a part of Gary's, Jason's, Jeff's, Bruce's, Stacy's life on a daily basis. Nothing I could say about them or the company here would do them justice. But it must be done. I know I have to go.

I learned more than I ever thought I would here. And I gained so much strength and confidence that I can see in all areas of my life. When I came here, I was scared and shy and self-conscious. I am leaving brave, outgoing and sure of myself. Things happen in such mysterious ways. I have wondered thousands of times over the past year how and why I ended up here of all places. But I stuck it out, even managed to have a good time, and now I'm going somewhere I can build a real life with no plans to leave (what a foreign concept to me!). I'm so unbelievably ready for that.

I know that even with all the experience I've gained here, my new job will still be an adjustment at first. But I feel confident that I made the right decision. I get a good vibe from my new bosses. I think it will be fun, a new challenge, and that I'm doing the right thing by going all-digital (my new job is at an online news company for anyone who may not know). And I have other plans, like trying to do some freelance work on the side to supplement my income and gain even more experience. I also have other writing projects I want to work on. I think now that I'm going somewhere I want to stay, nothing's on hold anymore. No more excuses. No more procrastinating. I also plan on joining a swim team ASAP. I'm very excited about this and the possibility to be involved in and do other things that weren't available to me in Beeville. It's time for me to come out of my cave and not be compromised anymore. I can't even express my excitement.

Bring it on.

No comments: