Search This Blog

Saturday, February 23, 2013

I can't believe it's really ending!: a list of things I will and won't miss and things I'm looking forward to

Things I'm going to miss about Korea:

• the kids
• Sarah and Kelly
• how nice and helpful most Koreans are
• Seoul
• train rides
• easy travel
• bibimbap
• how cheap stuff is
• mountains
• seasons
• Artbox
• cheesy popcorn at the movies
• being able to walk everywhere
• public transportation
• Uni Qlo
• underground subway malls
• cheap cosmetic stores
• floor heating
• the button to summon your waiter in restaurants
• the feeling of satisfaction I get after successfully navigating something unfamiliar
• a million other things I won't remember until I'm back in the states...

Things I won't miss about Korea:

• people spitting and hocking loogies anywhere and everywhere
• no toilet paper, no soap
• sometimes it takes forever to get anywhere!
• people everywhere, all the time, in my space, in the way
• people's unawareness of their surroundings
• the smell of Asia
• not always being able to find clothes in my size
• not having access to many foods, etc.
• the disorganization of working at a hagwon (and many other things about working at a hagwon)
• being stared at
• all the weird rules about shoes, bathing suits, etc.
• the "quantity over quality" mentality
• being able to go to the doctor and pharmacy for CHEAP
• and a million other things I won't remember until I'm back in the states...

Things I'm looking forward to about America:

• seeing friends and family (duh)
• HEB
• driving my car (but NOT paying for gas)
• the space
• the quiet
• no snow
• swimming and the Y
• shopping for clothes I know will fit
• working as a teacher (fingers crossed!)
• toilet paper, paper towels, liquid soap
• watching TV
• all the foods I've missed
• Target
• the great outdoors
• having a microwave, oven, and dryer
• being able to see the stars at night
• and a million other things I won't realize until I'm home!

No comments: