Search This Blog

Friday, October 31, 2008

Teaching?

So I had a thought recently, and reading Chelsie's post about teaching inspired me to write it down.

Maybe, after my overseas experience is over, I'll go back to school. I had already thought about that, but I didn't know what it would be for. And I still don't know, but I was thinking maybe I'd finish my master's in Rhet/Comp. Substituting has made me see A LOT of stuff about education. And I think what I really want to do, if I stick with education, is what I was already studying to do, which is teach college level composition. I know, I know, if I want to do that, then why did I quit grad school? Well, these things aren't black and white, although my dad would like to believe they are (there may be a blog on him at a later time). A few reasons:

  1. Burn out. Enough said.
  2. Not having a clue at the time what I really wanted to do. And now, I don't feel like I'm signing my life away just because it's easier than exploring options.
  3. I just knew it was time for me to leave. Very hard to do, but time. People don't have to understand that, but it's true.
  4. This is mine. Before it wasn't. And that's very important to me.

Those are the basics. I still don't know for sure if that's what I'll do. I'm still pondering law school and public school certification. And who knows what else may come along in the next couple of years. But I was also thinking, especially since I had to quit teaching swimming lessons this week (which totally broke my heart and I wish I could just do that all the time, but it doesn't pay the bills) that if I was teaching, either in college or public school, that summers off would leave time for swim coaching/teaching, which I would definitely be into. I just need to figure out if that's what I want. There are a lot of things I hate about it. But things I love, and teaching my own subject to my own students would be better.

Even if I do go back to school, I think I'll try to finish the degree at another school. I miss Corpus a lot right now, but I feel like my chapter there is over and it's time for new chapters in other places. I guess I'd just have to see if that's possible. But not anytime soon; I have enough to do now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that I made you realize that you might want to finish!!! Why not? You say you don't want to come back to Corpus, but you have SEVEN years to finish. Maybe after Prague you could come knock it out. You're half way there.

I'm excited to keep in contact this way. And thank you for agreeing with me about marriage!!! Blah.

Happy Halloween!!!!!