Search This Blog

Monday, January 31, 2011

what happens between a girl and her favorite band

I've been to more than a few concerts in my time.

Last night, I got to see Jimmy Eat World, my favorite band by far, and one I had never seen live in 10+ years of being a devoted fan. This was not for lack of trying; I had sought them out for years and was always either too far away, couldn't make the trip, etc., etc. Once, in 2005, I even had a ticket to their show in Houston but being broke, 19, and alone with no place to stay and my spring semester starting at 9 a.m. the next day (4 hours away), I decided against it. It was a sad day.

But last night made up for all those missed concerts. It was probably even better because the band has more material now and has only gotten better with age. I heard songs that got me through tough times in high school, college and even the past few months. It was almost a religious experience for me. I sang my heart out, danced around and screamed at the top of my lungs with a couple hundred other fans. Great, great night.

Now, I always behave this way at a concert of one of my favorite bands/artists. But this was even more intense, more surreal. I actually closed my eyes during some songs (which I never do at concerts) because I just wanted to feel the music. And it was so much better live than on the albums. The albums are amazing, of course, but they don't hold a candle to what those guys can do live with a small warehouse of guitars and a couple of microphones (and drums and keyboards, you get the idea). The lyrics are so...just... outstanding too.

I was blown away. I mean I already knew how all the guitar solos went and they still floored me. They didn't play all of the songs I wanted them to play but that was allright. I mean, seriously, if they had, we'd have been there all night.

Hearing all of those songs live was more than just an awesome show for me. It was experiencing my own history laid out before me in the span of a couple hours. Reliving it, finding new understanding and acceptance, being excited about the future. That's what music is to me. A release, an outlet, a place to find common ground, to put yourself and your feelings and who you are into words, sounds, energy, an intangible sphere where no one can touch you. And also a place to just jam the fuck out and have a rocking good time.

So thank you, Jimmy Eat World, for one of the best experiences I have ever had, for a decade of giving my life a soundtrack, and for the songs you have yet to share that will color my life for years to come.

No comments: